I was reading in Joshua chapter four this morning.

This is what it says:

Joshua 4: 19-24

19 On the tenth day of the first month the people went up from the Jordan and camped at Gilgal on the eastern border of Jericho. 20 And Joshua set up at Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken out of the Jordan. 21 He said to the Israelites, “In the future when your descendants ask their parents, ‘What do these stones mean?’ 22 tell them, ‘Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.’ 23 For the LORD your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The LORD your God did to the Jordan what he had done to the Red Sea[b] when he dried it up before us until we had crossed over. 24 He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the LORD is powerful and so that you might always fear the LORD your God.”

After reading this passage, I was reminded of a day in my life a few years ago. I have looked all over to find the actual picture that I took on that day but I still have not located it.

It was August 12, 2007. I had been thinking and praying about building some type of an alter during that summer but I was waiting for the right time and place to do so.

On this night just before sunset, I drove my car over to a small beach in my hometown that I knew would probably be empty. I carried my blanket and my Bible with me as I walked toward the shoreline. With the sand between my toes and the warmth of the falling sun on my face, I had a conversation with God and my soul found peace.

I got up a few minutes later and began to build an alter. Every time that I laid a new stone, I would release another burden. The collection formed into a beautiful alter. I had to take a picture because I knew that God was with me that night and I wanted to be able to share my experience someday with others.

Just 10 nights later, I was on a coffee visit with Eric Wagenmaker and a new season began for my life.